Whether you are planning a career in aviation or planning on flying as a hobby, the PPL
is the first official License for everyone. Earning a PPL will allow you to pilot an aircraft
with passengers and attach ratings. As you gain experience and skill level you can
move up to a Night Rating (NR), Instrument Rating (IR), VFR Over the top Endorsement
(VOTT), Seaplane Rating, or Multi-Engine Rating. As you can see there are no shortage
of opportunities to learn and advance your skills!
Mitchinson's also has a unique flight training resource/approach that sets us apart and allows our students to take control of their flight training, resulting in a more time and cost-efficient approach to gaining your license. You can read more about our Flight Training Binders and PGI's here!
Anticipate 5-6 weeks if full-time, 5 months if part-time.
- Be at least 14 years old to solo. Also, you must have reached your 17th birthday to receive a PPL;
- Have completed an Aviation Medical, Category 3 or higher. (Ground school training can be started without the medical);
- Minimum 40 hours of ground school, offered here;
- Minimum 45 hours of flight time;
- Written Exam (Transport Canada): written exam with a pass mark of 60%. Exam invigilator on staff to write at school; letter of recommend required (MFC standard: minimum 2 exams with average of 80%).
- Flight Test: Transport Canada approved Pilot Examiner on staff; letter of recommend required (MFC standard: adequate pre-flight completed with instructor).
|TOTAL DUAL||TOTAL SOLO|
|30 hours||15 hours|
|C152 (2 seats)||C172 (4 seats)*||Redbird FMX Simulator|
|Books and Materials||$299.00|
|27 hours Dual||$5,535.00||$6,210.00|
|3 hours Dual||$435.00|
|15 hours Solo||$2,175.00||$2,550.00|
|Written Exam Fee (TC)***||$105.00|
|Flight Test Fee (TC)***||$300.00|
|Licensing Fee (TC)***||$55.00|
|English Proficiency Test (TC)***||N/C if MFC student|
*Some students prefer to train in our larger C172
**Can be completed on-line
***(TC) Transport Canada
Note: The above training requirements represent TC minimums. It may take some students more time to complete depending on ability or if training flights are not consistently scheduled and flown.